Do you love your store bought Hidden Valley Ranch? If so, it’s understandable. But The Original Ranch dressing includes a lot of processed and refined ingredients such as soybean and/or canola oils, sugar, MSG, and modified food starch–to name a few. With the dried ranch packets you can control the oil and dairy you’re adding to it, but the dried ingredients also include many processed ingredients such as MSG, maltodextrin, and calcium stearate.
There are organic brands of ranch dressing and ranch packets you can buy that provide healthier options and I’ve tried a few, like Cindy’s Kitchen Buttermilk Ranch, that taste good, but most organic dressings still use vegetable oils. The organic ranch packets are an ever better option, but nothing beats homemade! When you make your own, it will be the freshest, healthiest, tastiest ranch you’ve ever had!
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup homemade mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 small clove garlic
- ½ tsp fresh dill
- ½ tsp flat leaf parsley
- ½ tsp fresh chives
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp unrefined sea salt
- Mince the garlic and then sprinkle about ⅛ tsp Kosher salt on it and mash it into a paste with a fork. Put in a bowl.
- Finely chop the dill, parsley, and chives and add them to the bowl with the garlic.
- Add all other ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Add more or less buttermilk to change consistency.
- Chill in the fridge before serving.