This lemon chicken orzo soup is nourishing and flavorful with a little lemony zing. It’s similar to my brown rice, chicken, and veggie soup.
I use homemade chicken bone broth in this soup as well as fresh lemons and fresh vegetables. I use the extra meat from a whole roasted chicken, so it’s ready to go and I don’t have to actually cook the chicken just for this soup. I like to use this DeLallo whole wheat orzo, but sometimes whole wheat orzo is hard to find and then I just use regular ol’ orzo. I found this Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup recipe at Two Peas & Their Pod and I’ve made it a lot since then.
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
Author: Two Thirds Cup
Serves: Serves 8
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 cups chicken broth
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 1 lemon (about ¼ cup)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ cups orzo pasta
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions, carrots, and celery and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken broth, lemon zest, lemon juice, and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Add the orzo, chicken, salt, and pepper and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until orzo is tender.
- Turn off the heat, remove the bay leaf, and serve hot.
Disclaimer: Some of the above links are Amazon affiliate links, which means if you click on them and purchase a product I will earn a commission on that product with no extra cost to you. I have used all of the products listed and I highly recommend them.
Dennis Manor says
I wanted to write about the recipe… But Theo. He’s the sweetest thing I have ever seen….
WOW! He is so cute.
He is so lucky to have such a wonderful mother!
Dennis Manor recently posted…Top 11 Best Wide Toe Box Running Shoes for Wide Feet in 2020