We eat these for breakfast quite often. Mostly because my kids never refuse waffles. And some days you just want everything to go smoothly, right?
These waffles have no refined sugar and no refined flour, so they’re healthy and wholesome. They won’t leave you feeling sick in the morning like some extra sweet waffles do. I even like to eat them without any syrup–just hot and crispy right out of the waffle iron with a little butter.
I always make a double batch of these waffles and then freeze what we don’t eat. Then all I have to do on a rushed morning is pull them out of the freezer, put them in the microwave and/or toaster, heat up some syrup, and bingo! A breakfast everyone loves. And they’re much healthier than store-bought frozen waffles. Read about the best way to freeze waffles here.
I like to use sprouted wheat flour, but regular whole wheat flour works great in this recipe too. I use One Degree or To Your Health sprouted wheat flour, aluminum-free baking powder, Real Salt, raw milk and eggs from pasture-raised chickens that I buy at Real Foods Market, organic no sugar added applesauce, butter from pasture-raised cows, real maple syrup, and organic vanilla extract. Using high-quality ingredients will make these waffles all the more delicious. Enjoy!
- 2 cups sprouted wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp real maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and applesauce.
- Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir briefly.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Combine the butter, maple syrup, and vanilla together.
- Pour the butter mixture into the other ingredients and mix until combined.
- Scoop batter onto waffle iron and cook waffles.
- Serve immediately topped with butter and real maple syrup.
*Adapted from fluffy sprouted waffles by Modern Alternative Mamma.