Omelets are a very healthy breakfast. You’ve got your protein from the eggs and your vitamins, fiber, and folate from the vegetables.
Unlike cold cereal, which is usually very processed and full of added sugar, eating omelets for breakfast will give you an even source of energy rather than a spike in your blood sugar and then a quick drop in your energy.
And if you eat eggs and vegetables in the morning you won’t crave sweets and refined carbohydrates as much throughout the day.
I use butter from grass-fed cows or bacon grease to saute my veggies. Read about the best cooking fats here. I like to use eggs from pasture-raised chickens and cheddar cheese. And I like to use organic fresh vegetables too.
These are my favorite vegetables to put in an omelet, but of course you can use whatever you want or whatever you have on hand. I like to save some diced tomatoes to put on top of the omelet along with the avocado as well.
- 1 Tbsp butter or bacon grease
- 2 Tbsp chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped fresh spinach
- 2 eggs
- unrefined sea salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup diced tomato
- ¼ cup grated raw cheddar cheese
- ½ cup cubed avocado
- Heat an 8" skillet over medium heat.
- Add butter and onions to the pan and cook until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for another minute.
- Add the chopped spinach and cook briefly until it's just wilted, about 30 seconds.
- Turn the heat to medium-low.
- Crack eggs into a bowl and beat with a fork until yolks and whites are combined.
- Add salt and pepper to eggs and stir until combined.
- Pour eggs into skillet.
- Sprinkle diced tomatoes and raw cheddar cheese onto the eggs.
- Cook until the egg firms up, but don't let it cook too long (about 3 minutes). You don't want the egg browning.
- Fold in half with a spatula and transfer onto a plate.
- Top with avocado and extra diced tomatoes.
Disclaimer: Some of the above links are Amazon affiliate links, which means if you click on them and purchase a product I will earn a commission on that product with no extra cost to you. I have used all of the products listed and I highly recommend them.
[…] Veggie Omelet […]