In Korea, this soup is called 참치 김치찌개, which is transliterated to chamchi kimchi jjigae (tuna kimchi stew). I lived in Korea for a while and my Korean friends taught me this basic version of kimchi soup. The traditional version includes pork, tofu, and other seasonings, but this version is simpler and cheaper.
Koreans always told me how healthy kimchi was. But when I lived in Korea I never knew why. Kimchi is made when cabbage (along with some other ingredients) is submerged in a salty brine and then left at room temperature to ferment. The process is called lacto-fermentation and it produces healthy bacteria (probiotics). So, kimchi is healthy because the process of making it creates live bacteria that promote gut health, aid in digestion, and strengthen the immune system. Learn more about the benefits of eating fermented food here.
You’ll want to use older kimchi that has been fermenting for a while for kimchi soup. New kimchi won’t taste as good. Here’s one brand of kimchi you can buy online or Asian supermarkets have a variety of Korean kimchi too. And there’s something about Korean tuna that is so good. You can find Korean tuna at Asian supermarkets or order it here on Amazon. Or just use whatever canned tuna you have.
If buying the ingredients and making it seems intimidating, order it at a Korean restaurant first and try it out. The more you eat it the more you’ll love it.
- 1 Tbsp butter, lard, tallow, or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups kimchi, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 can tuna
- 2½ cups water
- ½ cup kimchi broth (the juice in the kimchi jar)
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1 green onion, chopped (optional)
- Heat a pot over medium heat and add the butter.
- Add the kimchi and tuna and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add water and kimchi broth and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 10-15 minutes.
- Season with salt, adding it gradually as you taste it.
- Add chopped green onion.
- Serve hot with a bowl of rice on the side.
Disclaimer: Some of the above links are Amazon affiliate links, which means if you click on them and purchase a product I will earn a commission on that product with no extra cost to you. I have used all of the products listed and I highly recommend them.