Avocado, radishes, queso fresco, cilantro, fresh lime, tortilla strips…and that’s just the toppings! This chicken tortilla soup has so many delicious ingredients–it’s the best tortilla soup I’ve ever had. And don’t forget the hominy.
I grew up going to Mexico for many Christmas vacations. I looooove Mexico. And although I don’t know how authentic this chicken tortilla soup really is, I think the hominy and queso fresco give it a deep, earthy, authentically Mexican flavor. The soup can stand on its own, but the toppings are really what make it incredibly delicious. Don’t skimp on the toppings.
This is me in Mexico. Oh about…thirteen years ago. I’m wishing for a lot of things when I see this picture: warm ocean water, sandy beaches, hot humid air, and a tan. Take me back! But until I convince the diaper changer/money maker/car fixer (aka husband) to drive three days down the west coast to the Love Beach in San Blas (it’s the BEST way to do it people!), I’ll sit here eating tortilla soup while listening to La Bamba on repeat, reminiscing of skinnier days.
I like to use the leftover chicken from a whole roast chicken for this soup. I also use homemade chicken bone broth which adds a lot of nutrients. For the tortillas strips, it’s best to find tortillas that don’t have processed oils like hydrogenated oils or shortening in the ingredients. They can be hard to find. Some good brands to look for include: Udi’s tortillas, Paqui tortillas, and Engine 2 tortillas. I haven’t tackled making my own tortillas yet, but that’s also a great option.
I also want to mention that this is a Blue Apron recipe. Have you heard of Blue Apron? It’s a an awesome food delivery service. They deliver the recipes and ingredients for three meals each week to your door. It’s all fresh and in-season and different every week. So much variety! If I had more money than time, I would do it. I pitched the possibility of using their service to Dave (who does the grocery shopping for us) and he replied, “Katie, I am the Blue Apron.” Ha! He’s partly right. But he doesn’t plan the meals and put all the pre-portioned ingredients on the counter with a simple recipe for me to follow. He needs to work on that.
Blue Apron posts the recipes for the upcoming meals on their blog. That’s where I got this one. Their Vegetable Tortilla Soup recipe is a vegetarian version and I added chicken and chicken broth to mine. You should check them out! Blue Apron is not an affiliate, I just think they’re an awesome service.
- 10 corn or flour tortillas
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp ancho chile powder
- ½ tsp ground chipotle
- 2 cups precooked shredded chicken
- 1 12-oz can hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 limes, quartered
- 4 oz queso fresco, crumbled
- 4 oz radishes, cut into thin rounds
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut the tortillas in half and then into ½ inch wide strips.
- Put the tortillas on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with oil, salt, and pepper.
- Toss until combined.
- Spread strips in a single layer.
- Toast in the oven for 5 minutes, or until golden and crispy, stirring halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil over medium heat until hot.
- Add the onion, garlic, and spices.
- Cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the onions are soft.
- Add the shredded chicken, hominy, tomatoes, chicken broth, 2 cups water, and the juice of 2 lime wedges to the pot.
- Turn heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer on medium for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with the tortilla strips, queso fresco, radishes, avocado, cilantro, and the remaining juice from the lime wedges.
Disclaimer: Some of the above links are affiliate links, which means if you click on them and purchase a product I will earn a commission on that product with no extra cost to you. I highly recommend all of the affiliate products listed above.
Leave a Reply