This version of pecan pie is a bit healthier than your standard pecan pie. Most recipes include corn syrup and brown sugar and use a refined white flour pie crust. This recipe uses maple syrup, unrefined sugar like coconut or date sugar, and a sprouted spelt pie crust.
This recipe is not as sweet as other pecan pie recipes because it uses whole grains, which have a different flavor than refined flour. I’ve come to prefer the taste of sprouted whole wheat grains.
I use One Degree or To Your Health sprouted spelt flour, Redmond Real Salt, Fatworks pure lard, organic maple syrup, organic coconut sugar or date sugar, and butter from pasture-raised cows. You can use sucanat instead of coconut or date sugar too, I just don’t like the flavor of sucanat as much.
- 1½ cups sprouted spelt flour
- ½ tsp unrefined sea salt
- ¾ cup cold lard or butter, chopped into ¼ inch cubes
- ¼ cup very cold water (may need up to ½ cup)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup unrefined sugar (like coconut or date sugar)
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups pecan halves
- Place oven rack on lowest position.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put the flour and salt in a bowl and stir together.
- Add the lard and continue to stir together with a fork or pastry cutter until the flour resembles corn meal.
- Add the cold water and stir until the dough forms a ball. You may need more or less water, so add the water slowly.
- Flour a clean countertop and roll the dough into a ⅛ inch thick circle. If it's too sticky, place the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and then roll it out. Or put it in a Ziploc bag and roll it out then cut off the sides and peel the plastic off.
- Place the dough into a 9 inch pie pan and put it in the freezer while you're preparing the remaining ingredients.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs and beat them.
- Add the maple syrup, sugar, melted butter, and vanilla. Stir until fully combined.
- Remove the pie crust from the freezer.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust.
- Arrange the pecans on top.
- Bake until the crust is golden, but the center is still wobbly, about 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool before serving.
Disclaimer: Some of the above links are Amazon affiliate links, which means if you click on them and purchase a product I will earn a commission on that product with no extra cost to you. I have used all of the products listed and I highly recommend them.