My mom roasted these same veggies when we went rafting last month. That’s where I fell in love with the mixture. She pre-roasted the vegetables at home, stored them in the cooler on the boat, wrapped them in tinfoil at camp, and stuck them in the fire to reheat. They were delicious! Try it next time yougo camping.
Oh, and if you take your fishing rod, you could catch some trout and have fresh fish with lemon and roasted fall veggies while in the backcountry. That’s way better than the usual canned or dehydrated camping meals!
- ½ a butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1½ inch cubes
- 4 red new potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and quartered
- 3 carrots, peeled, halfed lengthwise if thick, and cut into 1½ inch lengths
- 1 yellow, orange, or red bell pepper, sliced
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp course salt
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Put vegetables in a large bowl and add olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Toss until evenly coated.
- Put vegetables on two rimmed baking sheet. Don't overcrowd or they will steam rather than brown.
- Roast until vegetables are tender and beginning to brown, about 40-50 minutes. Toss vegetables and rotate pans from top to bottom racks halfway through cook time.
- Serve hot.