Fall weather and cool evenings mean soup. I love soup, especially hearty ones. This soup includes brown rice that has been soaked, which makes the nutrients in the rice more easily absorbable by your body. Soaked rice is also easier to digest. I use homemade chicken bone broth for the base, which will help to boost your immune system and ward off the nasty flus and colds that are circulating at this time of year. Oh, and it’s really tasty too.
Soaked Brown Rice, Chicken, & Veggie Soup
Author: Two Thirds Cup
Serves: Serves 6
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, whey, yogurt, or lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp pastured butter, lard, or tallow
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- ½ lb organic chicken, precooked and diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
To soak the brown rice:
- Put 1 cup brown rice in a glass bowl.
- Cover with water by a couple inches.
- Add 1 Tbsp of an acidic medium such as apple cider vinegar, whey, yogurt, or lemon juice.
- Let the rice soak overnight or for about 9 hours.
- Drain and rinse the rice thoroughly.
To make the soup:
- Heat a large pot over medium-low heat.
- Add the butter, lard, or tallow.
- Add the onion and saute until the onion is soft.
- Add the garlic and saute briefly.
- Pour in the chicken broth and soaked rice and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover with a lid. Let simmer covered for 30-40 minutes or until the rice is soft.
- Add the chicken, carrots, celery, salt, and pepper and cook until vegetables are tender, but not mushy, about 10 minutes.
*My homemade chicken broth isn’t salty, if using store-bought broth, you may need to add less salt than called for in the recipe.
*Adapted from Chicken, Rice & Veggie Soup at Weed’em & Reap.
*Shared at the Homestead Barn Hop at The Prairie Homestead.
Deep Web says
I made this last night for my 16 yo twins and husband – and they loved it. So easy and perfect. Thanks for sharing.
Deep Web recently posted…How to Buy Bitcoins Using PayPal (LocalBitcoins, PaxFul, Wirex, VirWox, Cryptonit)