Asparagus Milanese is a fancy name for sauteed asparagus, fried eggs, and parmesan. It’s usually eaten as a side at lunch or dinner, but this spring I made it for breakfast multiple times.
Lately I’ve been trying to add more greens and more protein to my breakfasts, so this dish is perfect. And it’s really easy and really tasty. So so much tastier than a bowl of cereal in my opinion. Cook it in butter or bacon grease and you’ll get some good fats in your system to give you consistent energy in the morning.
I didn’t post last week because we went to my parent’s lodge in Quebec for ten days. My two little sisters and their husbands came too. At the lodge there is limited electricity (a solar panel in one cabin) and spotty cell service. So I totally checked out from all electronics. I didn’t even look at my phone once the whole time. And I didn’t miss Instagram or Facebook or anything.
It’s a beautiful existence up there! Just a lot of swimming, sauna time, paddle boarding, kayaking, and fishing. I actually didn’t even take a single picture. Which is a little sad because Ben had this adorable little North Face swim shirt, shorts, and hat. But, I actually don’t regret not taking pics. It’s just so nice to enjoy the moment without documenting sometimes.
We ate really well at the lodge. Someday I’ll share my parent’s deep fried fish recipe that is the best fish you’ve ever had. Fresh walleye (pickerel) caught the same day and cooked to perfection. Even fish haters love it.
But back to Asparagus Milanese…I like to use a sunny side up egg or an over easy egg that will let the yolk run all over the asparagus like sauce. I use pastured eggs to ensure I’m getting the most nutrients possible (read about pastured eggs here), pastured butter or bacon grease for frying (read about the best cooking fats here and how to keep and use bacon grease here), and as always I love my unrefined sea salt that is harvested in Utah at Redmond Farms (read about the benefits of using unrefined sea salt here). This is a really nutritious recipe. Give it a go!
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 Tbsp butter or bacon grease
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- unrefined sea salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Snap off and discard the woody ends of the asparagus, then rinse the stalks.
- Heat a pan to medium-high heat.
- Add the butter or bacon grease.
- Add the asparagus and grill for about 5 minutes, stirring a few times, until bright green and charred in spots.
- Heat a separate pan over medium heat.
- Add a small amount of butter and fry eggs one at a time until just set, about 2 minutes.
- Divide the asparagus onto two plates and top each with a fried egg.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top and add salt and pepper to taste.
Disclaimer: Some of the above links are Amazon affiliate links, which means if you click on them and purchase a product I will earn a commission on that product with no extra cost to you. I have used all of the products listed and I highly recommend them.
Leave a Reply