I always thought making mac ‘n cheese must be hard and that’s why everyone buys Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. Boy was I wrong. It takes the same amount of time! And it’s so much better–better tasting and better for your health. Kraft mac ‘n cheese includes highly processed ingredients and food coloring. I know it’s easy to assign boxed macaroni to your kids when they’re making dinner, but shredding some cheese is the only extra step. I think the kiddos can handle that! This homemade version is full of healthy fats, probiotics, and wholesome pasta. And it’s the ultimate comfort food!
Homemade Macaroni & Cheese
Author: Two Thirds Cup
Serves: Serves 4
- 8 oz sprouted wheat or einkorn pasta
- 4 Tbsp pastured butter
- 3 Tbsp organic corn starch
- 1½ cups raw milk
- 1 to 2 cups shredded raw cheddar cheese
- unrefined sea salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package, usually about 12 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, shred the cheese.
- Melt the butter in a pot over medium-low heat.
- Add the corn starch and stir well.
- While stirring constantly, add the milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add the cheese and stir until it has melted and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve hot over pasta and season with salt and pepper to taste.
*Adapted from Macaroni & Cheese (from scratch) by Weed’em & Reap.
Leave a Reply