My sister just had her first baby. So I took her this soup and some homemade sprouted wheat bread. Because what is more comforting than a soup/bread combo?
This lemon chicken orzo soup is nourishing and flavorful with a little lemony zing. It’s similar to my brown rice, chicken, and veggie soup, which I also take to new mothers, but with the lemon and orzo this soup is a little more…interesting.
I use homemade chicken bone broth in this soup as well as fresh lemons and fresh vegetables. I use the extra meat from a whole roasted chicken, so it’s ready to go and I don’t have to actually cook the chicken just for this soup. I like to use this DeLallo whole wheat orzo, but sometimes whole wheat orzo is hard to find and then I just use regular ol’ orzo. I found this Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup recipe at Two Peas & Their Pod and I’ve made it a lot since then. It’s just really good.
And…meet little Theo. He’s the sweetest tiny little bundle. Now you’ll know what to take to those new mothers. Enjoy!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 cups chicken broth
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 1 lemon (about ¼ cup)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ cups orzo pasta
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions, carrots, and celery and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken broth, lemon zest, lemon juice, and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Add the orzo, chicken, salt, and pepper and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until orzo is tender.
- Turn off the heat, remove the bay leaf, and serve hot.
Disclaimer: Some of the above links are Amazon affiliate links, which means if you click on them and purchase a product I will earn a commission on that product with no extra cost to you. I have used all of the products listed and I highly recommend them.